Thursday 28 June 2012

I Paint my own Reality

I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration. - Frida Kahlo


Great so I got my first two star review- on good reads. Well it was bound to happen wasn’t it?! It was just a star rating not an actual review- I would have liked some words to see what exactly they didn’t like. It is good though in a year I have only had one bad review. I expeceted more when the kindle sales started to rise because the more people that read it the more will write reviews. What is comforting is the fact that if you are annoyed and don’t like something you are more likely to write about it than if you do like it. So I take some solace in that- although for £1.00 on Kindle are you really going to write a review if you don’t like it- some will of course but others are probably apathetic about it.

Another question I had was this- well not so much a question but a thought. I have just read Sugar and Spice by Saffina Desforge – if you have read my previous blog posts you will know that I loved it.   now that is solely on Kindle ( I think) and I gather the author is doing really well. Say J K Rowling (and I use her as an example because everyone know she got oodles of rejections and went on to be a multi-millionaire) well say she just self published Harry Potter – would it still be as successful? Of course not – because Harry Potter has had uber Marketing. This is what the publishing houses have I suppose in order to make millionaires-most of us don’t even want that- all we want is to make a living out of it so we can spend our days writing and not working!!! I think with the correct marketing a self pubbed book can make it – like Sugar and Spice but what marketing did she have? or was it just such a controversial book that it got people talking? after all Word of mouth marketing is unrivalled surely

FYI I love the above quote - writers like artists write because they have to, they need to and I definitely write whatever passes through my head... which begs the question are writers insane? or do they just have very active imaginations... or is it just creativity? I am not sure. I wouldnt call myself creative and I am pretty much straight down the line (not insane) but my thoughts are random- I have realised this from fellow workers. I do create scenarios in my mind all the time about what if's? Anyway thats another blog post altogether.