Friday 15 June 2012

When writing a novel a writer should create living people;

When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature. Ernest Hemingway

Well, well, well let it be known that my punctuation is appalling. Well it is already known but I read out in writing group ( when ever I say that I feel like a toddler) - and several people offered to punctuate my submission for me. I have to get the comma placing sorted. Why didnt I pay attention in English? someone else read out my work because I am hopeless at it. I showed them the first chapter of The Bittersweet Vine. The good news is that everyone liked it. I think I even got a 'terrific' - The general consensus was that my writing has improved a great deal. I dread to think of what they thought of my work when I first started there and I also got a few constructive criticisms that I have taken on board and added to my first chapter.

By the end of the weekend I should be all set with the first fifty pages. I have shortlisted 5 writing agents to send my submissions to as well. I am pretty happy with my new editing technique. Spending a full evening on a chapter is good. Giving myself that goal has slowed my impatient nature down. So now I know that it will take me 50 odd days to finish the final draft- well its never really final is it- lets say penultimate draft- and I am taking my time on it- The reaction to chapter one from my writing group tells me this method is pretty good. So obviously the first 4 read throughs were a waste of time - never - now I know the characters and what I am trying to put across to the readers.

I am pretty excited about completing The Bittersweet Vine. I am closer to where I want to be in my life- do I think I will get a publisher? I don't know - in my heart or hearts - no- Its a great psychological thriller but they are two a penny these days surely?! I don't know.
My new plan is this - send out 5 submissions -meanwhile doing a deep clean edit of my draft - wait for feed back and submit another 5-10 three months later (that's October people) - Then next summer self publish - first to Kindle - then paperback.

Now I know a couple of people of the editing variety I am hoping I can get the book edited cheaply. Three very kind members of my writing group offered to punctuate my submission for me!

 I am taking some of the pressure of on trying to get so much done (writing wise).

If you fancy something to read- have a look at http://thelensandthequill.blogspot.com/