Friday 15 March 2019

Writing is an exploration...

Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go. - E L Doctorow

I mentioned in my previous post that in the near future I would be looking to go down the traditional publishing route again. If you are not familiar with my writing history I have had two books published by Indie publishers and the rest I have self published. I can't give the two Indie Publishers great reviews but the first did open some doors to me because, let's face it self-publishing is still stigmatised; not as much as it was when I started self-publishing as books like The Martian and Still Alice have proved there is not much wrong with it!

I then gave up with going down the trad route because my self-pubbed titles were doing quite well (better than the Indie published books), but now I'm thinking of looking into this route again. Why? because self publishing is hard work and so is the marketing element. Having some support with this would be a good thing, I previously said I wouldn't look at Indie Publishers again. However, I think I would moving forward - not all, just a select few with a proven track record. I'm not being pricey (well I am a little) but  I feel I have earned it . Some get great write-ups and do quite a bit for their authors which is what I want and what I'm going to go for. I'm also going to look at publishers like Bookouture - digital publishers from the big publishing houses that publish some great authors and I will consider the tradition publishers as well - but they mostly require agents and I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again.

However, this is all in the future. The Chupplejeep series will still be self-published, but my new Shilpa Solanki series is the one I will be approaching agents with. The issue is that I need to write the book first! My son has just decided he no longer wants an afternoon nap so when I am going to write this book I have no idea... but I will find the time somewhere. Maybe after the house move!

In the interim I came across a self-publishing advice page that rates Indie Publishers.  You can see their list here: https://selfpublishingadvice.org/allis-self-publishing-service-directory/self-publishing-service-reviews/


No comments:

Post a Comment