Friday 1 February 2013

I dont care if a reader hates one of my stories...

“I don’t care if a reader hates one of my stories, just as long as he finishes the book.”
—Roald Dahl, WD


Where do I begin? It has not been long since my last post but I have been busy (not writing unfortunately) busy with work and it feels like it has been an age since I blogged or ranted - should I say!

Well I have done a bit of writing and more character development on Under The Coconut Tree. I am now up to approx 45,000 not that I am counting- that is the worst thing you can do- to me it means you are struggling to write- the words aren't flowing and you'll probably end up with a mess. No I am looking at word count because this genre is different and I know the book will be short - but I dont want it to be too short if you know what I mean. At the moment I think I will reach 60,000 words and I am comfortable with that- in any event how often do you read a book and think- well that could have been longer- and on kindle to you even know how long a book is.

My other thoughts this week have been about writing about Goa again- well not about, but set in- although where else could I set the book?  Write what you know is a good piece of advice - researching Goa on Google I probably know more about it now then when I lived there. Goa is a big character in this next book and I suppose some of my apprehension stems from this. I was trying to get too many bits about Goa into Goa Traffic which on hindsight I shouldn't have done.  Great for readers that have been to Goa - not so great for others I guess. Although I haven't had that much criticism about that in particular. Anyway I hope I don't make the same mistake twice. I would like to say that I am older and wiser now.

Today is also the 1st of the month- the day I check sales. All is well the negative review didn't have a huge impact- in fact sales have gone up and I have received more reviews which have taken the edge of the really bad one. Anyway as of today no more reading reviews- with sales increasing so are the reviews which I guess is inevitable and I suppose a good thing. Time to concentrate on book 3!

And what of The Bittersweet Vine? I hear you ask. Baby number 2 - well that is still with publishers. I am hoping right now someone at Headline is saying: lets give this girl a chance. Well that is what my 'glass half full' side is saying. The 'glass half empty' side is saying 'Start picking a front cover for Kindle' - although that is not so glass half empty because self pubbing is not a bad thing. Kindle is a god-send.

As you can tell from the terrible grammar I really need to start that grammar course. I will before Feb is out - Promise.

My resolutions for 2013 are going well- did I tell you I want to introduce colour into my life- Yes I am always in dark colours. So far I have worn a bright yellow scarf and an orange handbag - dont look so alarmed- I didn't wear them together  - both sister and H are slightly worried- I tell them its my boho writers style. I have even introduced Wellbeing sessions at work and on the Pay-it-forward rule I have invited fellow writer to give staff at work a session on colour therapy. Want to know how colour can change your life visit her site at www.audrinapaisley.co.uk I have also added another resolution which is SOOTO. This is to do Something Out Of The Ordinary every month. I start this month so watch this space. It will broaden my horizons and make me (I believe) a better writer and person.

In other news I am pleased to say Mary Cavanagh from my writing group, who has published many successful novels will now be publishing three more and is writing another. Yes she has a publisher so that is fantastic news.  I look forward to reading them all!

Anyway must get back to Chupplejeep who is currently buying patties and potato chops for lunch at the bakers. But a final note about todays quote before I go. I recently read a good blog post (don't shout but I cant remember who wrote it- someone retweeted someone I was following on twitter- yep I don't even know who- I am a terrible person) saying how we sometimes love to read something just to be annoyed- we love to be annoyed by that person or something- we cant stop ourselves from reading the thing thats annoyed us. It was called something like hate reading. We all do it. I am sure some people read this blog and think - "what the hell is she on about? and her grammar is abysmal!" but they still read it just to get annoyed with what I write.  Anyway I am glad this issue is recognised and now has a term. This blog post is especially dedicated to all those hate readers out there. I think RD was on to this a long time ago - this quote is the very proof of it!