Monday 16 April 2012

When a man publishes a book, there are so many stupid things...


When a man publishes a book, there are so many stupid things said that he declares he'll never do it again. The praise is almost always worse than the criticism.

- Sherwood Anderson
I like this quote it reminds me somethimes of my feelings for Goa Traffic. Well I had a writing holiday - went to Amsterdam- it was interesting and Devon was so relaxing - there is something peaceful about being near the water. So I re-read Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith to give me some inspiration. It made me luagh the second time round and made me feel okay about "Under the Coconut Tree"- you see I started writing it but I was struggling because although tehre is a plot the book is more about the characters and local way of life - I am now aware in my writing that you shouldnt write things within your book that are not relevant to the plot- but I have realised with UTCT that this cannot be the case. The reader will want to know about the people, their manerisms etc... So I am glad Morality for Beautiful Girls was full of it as well. It has also encouraged me to write a story about the characters that happens in the back ground - which will progress through the series but contained within each novel.

I also read Simon Brett's Bones under the Beach Hut.... It was cosy detective fiction- but too cosy for me. It was like reading an episode of Rosemary and Thyme... Not sure if I like to read things like that.

That is all my news... I have two weeks to get The Bittersweet Vine drafted to a viewable state and going to do some of that tonight. I have even managed to get the beloved Word on my netbook so I am all set for some serious writing!

Something good is going to happen this year...I can feel it in my bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment