Tuesday 30 August 2011

We tend to forget that happiness...

We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”- Frederick Keonig


After a refreshing bank holiday break I feel on top form. Well waking up this morning was a struggle but apart from that the weekend was the first time in a long time that I felt relaxed. Completely, whether it was the water or the country side or a mix of the two it is hard to explain. Maybe it is the romantic writer in me finally conceding to natural beauty. The reason for our existence and happiness. To strip back the world and get back to nature. To be able to sleep for ten hours and wake up with not much to do but look at the scenery. Something I thought I would never enjoy but I did. I put my writing out of my mind for a couple of days and I soaked up other peoples words. I was truly absorbed into a different world. Dont worry I wont continue with this line of thought I know it could quite possibly be gagable if you are not in the mood for it. Which begs another question 'Do I write for my audience or for myself?' another topic for another day methinks. 


Anyway so I read- I finished Tony Blair: A journey and yes it was good. I think it provided me not only an education but an insight to the political world. It is a good read if you are thinking of reading something quite different. I then started reading The Lantern, by Deborah Lawrenson. I was very excited by the thought of it. I was sadly disappointing for the first couple of chapters - it is slow to start but now I am truly absorbed in the description of southern France and the lavender fields. 


Now in my writing group I think the criticism would be more telling than showing- but Ms Lawrenson is now a best seller- see you can never tell! Anyway if anyone wants to be transported to southern france and be absorbed in the beauty of words and lost in a good book pick up The Lantern and tell me what you think!  I'll let you know shortly if it was good till the end! 

No comments:

Post a Comment