Monday 25 July 2011

The novel is an event in consciousness.

The novel is an event in consciousness. Our aim isn't to copy actuality, but to modify and recreate our sense of it. The novelist is inviting the reader to watch a performance in his own brain.
George Buchanan

I have some news finally! Goa Traffic is finally on sale in India, well Goa, I am not so sure about the rest of India. Available at Broadway Books, if anyone is heading out to Goa at all – pick up a copy there. Printed there it is cheaper at Rs 350 a book. I will try now to get it into other book shops – fingers crossed it sells! It is good that it will be distributed through book shops though – very excited – I need to drum up some business for it- wouldn’t it be nice to sell out! – One can dream I suppose.

I have also decided to target the main buyers at the big book shops. That work will start next Wednesday. The idea is to call and ask for the main buyer or at least get a name to send a pitch letter of sorts to asking them to stock the book. I reckon that this will be a good seller at airport shops so will definitely contact WH Smith Travel. Then maybe I will contact the newspapers, with my same press release that has currently not had huge success.

I have edited up to chapter 11 of my new novel, the Book Club and have realised that I need to add depth to two of the characters- they are pivotal characters, so you don’t see them all that much through the book, but when they do appear they have some impact. I need ideas to give them more of a personality- maybe a back story- How do you give them that third dimension otherwise. I want the readers to really like one of them lets call him Mr L and the other one I want them to be uncertain about, maybe a bit suspicious of, lets call him Mr C- any ideas – throw them my way – although I get its difficult since you haven’t read the book.

So far through the edit I am happy the way the story is going, although one or two chapters need some va va voom. It is hard editing a suspense novel – because lets face it you know what is going to happen. There comes a point when you stop thinking this is a page turner because quite frankly you know what is on the next page!

In other news – I am loving The Crowded Bed by Mary Cavanagh - Some unexpected twists have really made it into a page turner. I found a grammatical error in my English Grammar for dummies book- Ha! Boredom one lunchtime at work has led me to write to them and point it out! I know I am a geek- but I had the time (actually I don’t have the time- I barely have time to do this)

Anyway – spread the word- Goa Traffic is available to buy in Goa!!!! Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment