Wednesday 1 June 2011

If you try to please audiences...

If you try to please audiences, uncritically accepting their tastes, it can only mean that you have no respect for them: that you simply want to collect their money.
Andrei Tarkovsky

So I have done a couple of new marketing exercises that I have mentioned before but not actually given details about. For one you can follow me on Twitter @marissadeluna and secondly you can ‘like’ my facebook page Goa Traffic-a novel by Marissa de Luna. Spread the word far and wide I would like as many followers and ‘likes’ as possible!

Today I started to consider a website as well- it will be more sophisticated than a blog I suppose- cutting out the waffle and providing just the right amount of required detail for people who want to know about me and the books that  write, Goa Traffic. I have also had another idea- to compile for my website and current facebook page an album of scenes in Goa that I think depict the book well. The brightly coloured houses, the children playing on the sides of the roads, the bamboo scaffolds, the old wooden grandfather chair, the beaches, the main ‘tito’s strip where all the nightlife occurs. That I suppose will be a work in progress. I don’t have many of those photos so would have to go out and take them, and currently I don’t have a trip planned till later in the year- surely it will give the reader an even better insight into Goa, the way things are there. It may be what some people want. Would it encourage sales?

I have not looked on many author websites after reading a book but I think I will start. The only one that I did actively search out- because I wanted more after the book was over was the author of Shantaram (see I cant even remember the author’s name- Gregory something- I must improve my lack of ability to remember authors names now that I am one.)

I cant remember the website but I remember coming away slightly disappointed as there was not much on there of interest to me. I don’t know what I expected really. But I would like to think I could create a website that has enough to give readers that little bit extra.

But having my own website costs money!!! How do I go about setting one up easily, cheaply and efficiently?! Who knows, that is another venture I will need to look into! Recommendations have been to have a website with the name of your book in the title, however, is this really going to be economical when I write another book- No I think I will stick to just my name Marissa de Luna.

And on that note I move on- I have changed my name bow at work to my married name! It is in a way that you are losing a bit of your identity but I suppose this is my new identity now. For writing though I am keeping my name- always!

No comments:

Post a Comment