Tuesday, 17 January 2017

The first draft is just you telling yourself the story

The first draft is just you telling yourself the story - Terry Pratchett

So I am nearly at the end of the first draft of Splinter - It's probably the sketchiest draft I have written, but I needed to get it out of my system before I start on the next Chupplejeep. Its like a lemon sorbet pallet cleanser in-between courses. The MS as it stands is a quarterly there - it definitely needs several full re-qwrites. But as TP says in the above quote the first draft is just you telling yourself the story. I have a busy year ahead and so this draft will provide a good starting point to work on. I'm not sure what I want to do with this book - It may never see the light of day, but I needed to write it before I start on the book I really want to work on which is Jackpot Jetty - the next Chupplejeep - where he eowrds just flow with ought me having to think. 

There is something special about starting to write a new book, not so dissimilar to when you start reading a new book - something you have been wanting to read for a while.  While I am on this point though I have to say that lately I have been really disappointed by novels that I have added to my good reads 'to read' list after reading a good write up about the book. Is it because my expectations are higher for these books? (My other way of picking books is reading blurbs on my kindle and randomly selecting one). Is it because they are invariably more expensive? - Don't get me wrong I'm all for authors making a decent wage and charging a decent price for a book ( and by decent I mean more than the price of a glossy magazine or meal deal!), but sometimes e-books when they are released they are pretty expensive and if you look at the regular price of a paperback and remove those printing costs etc, the cost doesn't tally!

Anyway... enough ranting of today. Back to Splinter - not long to go now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment