Tuesday 19 February 2013

No fathers or mothers think their own children ugly;

No fathers or mothers think their own children ugly; and this self-deceit is yet stronger with respect to the offspring of the mind.


-Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 

I am in one of those moods. I came home from work all ready to get to grips with Chupplejeep and then I got distracted. I have started watching Hot in Cleveland - which for some strange reason I am addicted to as well as Girls. Anyway Hot in Cleveland distracted me and even though H is not around this evening I couldn't bring myself to write. I hope this is not the dreaded writers block. I don't think it is. Personally I think I have overwhelmed myself with things to do. Yes we need a plumber and someone to fix our leaky roof, plus cleaning, cooking, washing - quite frankly with a full time job as well I am tired. Tired of thinking. I wonder how other writers do it. So much for wanting 'calm' in 2013!  

Then I read a book (yes, I had time to do that - I know wake up half an hour earlier to extend my day- I know I am sad). The book - which is excellent - and I recommend it to all new and established authors is called 100 ways to market your ebook. Its full of good ideas which do not cost the earth - in fact most are free and even advises on pricing your book. For a couple of quid its worth it. I found out about the book from my agent who represents Conrad Jones and basically it's their trial and error in marketing so that you don't have to go through the hard slog. Although don't get me wrong marketing is a hard slog- especially when all you want to do is write - but let me tell you - It's worth it!  


Anyway I read this book and I realised that I haven't been doing half of the things I should be for my book. I also realised to do all of them I would need to work part time! I will have to be content with doing some I suppose.   

I should be elated because last week I received my first traditional publishing contract offer for The Bittersweet Vine. Yes this was the moment I have been waiting for!  But because I am who I am - instead I though  "Mmm... Really?" I was looking for fault. I don't know why. Is it because it has happened so quickly? Basically it is an independent publishing house and once the contract is all signed etc I will be super excited. I guess its the interim bit that makes me feel all unsure. It has got me thinking about the pro's and con's of self publishing. You see with GT I had complete control. I can see my sales yada yada. This is stepping into the unknown. I wont have control - how many changes will they want me to make? Will they change the title? What if I don't like the front cover? But that is the small stuff- surely publishers know better. They do! I am sure of that. And if it had happened to someone else I would be like "when will I get a break?" or "I wish that were me!" 

Its funny how things turn out. It has boosted my confidence no end and I feel very comfortable with the way The Bittersweet Vine has panned out. I hope it does well. My agent reckons it will hit stores (not all but some ) in December this year. Clearly traditional publishing does nothing for my lack of patience! 

Anyway, thought I would share my news with you! Its exciting times ahead and I will keep you all posted. If it has taught me anything it's that hard work, perseverance and most importantly having a dream will eventually get you where you want to go! So don't give up.  I have also started working on Indian Diaries with Urmi Kenia. Its going to be a selection of short stories to accompany photographs - all set in - yes you guessed it India. I am hoping we can publish to Kindle in early May! So watch this space. And if you are wondering about the quality of the pictures on e-readers - we have tried a few and they look just fine - they are all black and white. I hope the stories shed light on the underbelly of India. I am certainly excited about writing this book!!!! 

Anyway blog! You have made me feel worthwhile again and perhaps I will get back to Chupplejeep now!! Oh and a note about the quote: Writer's isn't it true? 

P.S I have also had a bit of a break through on book number 4 (originally book no.3) - WIP title: Living The Dream. But I'll tell all later!