Thursday 19 January 2012

Novelists...fashioning nets to sustain and support the reader...

Novelists... fashioning nets to sustain and support the reader as he falls helplessly through the chaos of his own existence.  ~Fay Weldon
Having a manic day at work and suddenly starting on my editing journey for the Bittersweet Vine sounds like something relaxing and peaceful - the labour of love seems appealing right now. But that is beacuse I am at work - snatching my lunch hour to do this.
I am getting quite a few hits on my blog in America but this does not turn into sales in America (They say its tough to crack). I have seen this statement/question whatever you call it written on thousands of forums - How can I turn blog hits into sales?

Sales in England are steady so then how come they are so low in America- is it because I have more of a prescence here? Hardly- One kind soul did say Americans are keen to read fiction by English Authors. I guess there is a lot moer choice in America? I dont know. What I do know is that I rather get USA hits and no sales from USA than no hits and no sales. At least it gives my blogs a purpose- Somebody, somewhere is reading what I write.

Can I just also say that my Twitter experience is not doing so great. Yes I have tried Tweeting about mundane things, profound sayings and writing - to no avail- the followers are limited.

With the sale of Goa Traffic - I have to think - is it because of the name GOA - that I am getting sales. I know its a place loved by all and people want to read about it - I have classed it under travel books for India and I'll be honest I think that is where most of my sales are being generated from. This fills me with slight disillusionment  for The Bittersweet Vine - failing to find an agent or a publisher could mean back to self publishing - now this is something I am familiar with and happy about because I know it- Who knows if I can stump up the costs to get the book edited but hey - its my dream I am not writing it so that it can sit on my hard drive for the rest of eternity!

Vanity publishing- yes and what? I say - anyway rant over. Even though Goa Traffic was a huge experiement of sorts I am confident taht oen day (maybe when I am 50! it will break even) - maybe sooner. I am slowly chipping away at the total figure - which would have been much lower without the full edit (damn my bad grammar)

Anyway this weekend - well starting from yestersday is a huge push for Goa Traffic before I expend all my energy on The Bittersweet Vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment