Saturday 20 August 2011

Writing novels preserves you in a state of innocence...

Writing novels preserves you in a state of innocence - a lot passes you by - simply because your attention is otherwise diverted. - Anita Brookner 

So leaving Goa Traffic aside for just one moment, I have been working furiously on completing the first draft of The book Club. The trouble is every time I get to the chapter I am working on I think of something else to add to earlier chapters. Its good I am really developing my characters and unlike GT there are lots of characters to play with. Its like they all sit around a table in my head and come up with ideas for themselves- crazy as it sounds – its true. Like the Miss Potter film- I thought is she going mad that she talks to her characters and they are in her head doing things- now I know that that is just being an author. Your characters just pop into your head with suggestions like they are long lost friends- or evil enemies too.

Anyway let me not bore you with that-the good news is that The Book club is progressing. I am having a solid writing day today and plan to get the final word typed. It is already a mammoth first draft for me at 70,000 words. I guestimate another 20,000 but would like to stay around the 80,000/85,000 mark.

I can’t help but think of an elevator pitch and writing a synopsis- yes getting ahead of myself I am – I will share the elevator pitch with you next time. Have a think let me know your thoughts! But I am taking my time with this one. There is lost of improving to do.

In fact a passage at writing group got slaughtered the other day- namely by myself. I sat there as one of our members read out the passage. I squirmed in my seat and cringed at the bad writing. I was definitely telling not showing! It was just bad bad bad! I took it home re-hashed it and produced what I think is a much better piece. This is what I love about the writing group – they are critical but in such a constructive way even though you feel dejected for the rest of the evening – the next day after lots of editing you have a much better chapter!  

I Hope you enjoyed Martin Lastrapes Blog Post from the other day. I think his book is really doing well and he seems very on the ball with his promotions. I keep my fingers crossed for him. Like the rest of us he is following his dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment