Thursday 25 August 2011

What's in a name?


What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" – Shakespeare

It is hard choosing a name for your novel. Did I do “Goa Traffic” justice in calling it that? I don’t know perhaps you can come up with a better one! But that is done, it cannot be changed (well it could for later editions) but anyway today I am thinking about a name for my new novel, that I have been thus far been calling The Book Club. I have been following a workshop that I used in choosing The title for Goa Traffic- the aim of the game is to be specific, unusual and concrete. Apparently those names sell better. Apparently authors are terrible in choosing names for their books. So anyway I followed this workshop I made a list of unusual settings in the book, interesting topics in the book and unusual activities. Anything abstract I dismissed and I am struggling. Coming up with Goa Traffic was relatively easy compared to this.

I have come up with “The Abduction of Maria Shroder” and “Forgotten” (which is very abstract and could be easily forgotten) but these are not what I am looking for – I will spend the rest of today having a think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment