Saturday 30 July 2011

At first, I spend about four hours a day writing

At first, I spend about four hours a day writing. Toward the end of a book, I spend up to 16 hours a day on it, because all I want to do is make it good and get it done.- Tracy Kidder

So Pottermore – is the new venture with JK Rowling and sony. If you googled it after reading my blogpost yesterday you probably already know more about it than me. I read it on self-publishing review (no they don’t pay me to advertise it- I just seem to find some good articles on there- but it’s free to join) – well anyway she gets more royalties kids get more potter books – she is a billionaire and will be even more so after this and then well she gives some kind of percentage to the original publishers. So if she is self pubbing – why isn’t self publishing more out there- and obviously there are more benefits to this.

I am going to try the Book Club as an e book before I venture down any Authorhosue type contracts again but I will try the traditional route as well- well you have to try don’t you.

It is a bit worrying though all those scaremongering stories you hear about getting taken by a publisher and then not having your book printed for years – or it is published and then they don’t market it.

It has made me think about marketing too. So I have tried all the free stuff now, the press releases, the post cards left in pubs and coffee shops (although I need to do a bit more of that) – I have targeted some private book shops and I have targeted the glossy magazines. I have even left copies at waterstones. Now I need to hit it big time. I need to approach the Buyrs- especially WH smith Travel and I need to approach newspapers and maybe the TV book club or Richard and Judy’s book club- anyone got any contacts?

It is true I could send books out here there and everywhere or like one case study I ready- leave copies on public transport! I have taken a back seat on the marketing front lately but I think its time to up a gear and get a bit more organised.

1 comment:

  1. I had a look at Pottermore. I think it's a fun idea, but as I wrote else where, I find Harry Potter quite boring. I didn't find the books captured my imagination. (I tried the first few). The first couple of films were better, but I lost interest as he got older. I don't like his character. In essence it's in a similar genre to Lord of the Rings, but even though this genre is not the kind I choose to read, LOTR really did capture my imagination - the books and the films.

    ReplyDelete