Wednesday 8 June 2011

Writing is not a genteel profession

Writing is not a genteel profession. It's quite nasty and tough and kind of dirty. 
Rosemary Mahoney



Today I am going to print the very sketchy first draft of my second novel. It is a mere 55,000 words- a pretty similar number to where Goa Traffic started. It is just a skeleton that needs fleshing out. 


I will start reading through this minimal first draft and see what needs adding, taking out elaborating etc. 


i feel I had a smoother write with this one as opposed to Goa Traffic. The words came thick and fast and I think it is because I did something I don't normally believe in. I wrote a bit of a chapter plan. As the novel started, I didnt but then as plots started to thicken , I thought I had better or I would end up confused myself. Goa Traffic is a book of few characters and one main plot. The Book Club however, is a labyrinth of complexities. I will let you know how I get on after I print the first copy.


On the Goa Traffic front, I have dropped a copy of the book at the Waterstones near to where I work and my mother-in-law too is going around little stores and big ones trying to entice fiction buyers. 


I have heard back from a magazine as well- and on request I have sent off a few sample chapters. Fingers crossed- not that I ever get to uncross them these days. 


I am still struggling through The Hare with Amber Eyes as well English Language for dummies! 







No comments:

Post a Comment