Wednesday 22 June 2011

Writing is a fairly lonely business...

Writing is a fairly lonely business unless you invite people in to watch you do it, which is often distracting and then have to ask them to leave.
Marc Lawrence



It is true, writing can be lonely because when you are absorbed in your work you tend to shut the whole world out. If you live with someone this could possibly alienate them, But it is something that you have to do. I have decided to dedicate one day per week to shutting people out- it is selfish but necessary. When you write distractions are everywhere but when you are trying to get something down it doesn't matter what is going on around you - I personally get so absorbed that I just block voices and sounds out. A good talent that accompanies writing. I suppose different people work in different conditions. 


Today I started writing an article. I don't write articles or short stories, however, I saw an article on the Stylist website and was inspired. I will post the article on here soon but this will be my first submission.


Writing something short was quite cathartic in a way and a refreshing change from writing a novel. Maybe I will start writing short stories. 


I have reached chapter 13 of English Grammar for dummies. I am not sure if I have improved but I think it is slowly seeping in. I somehow have realised I will need to read it at least thrice before I see any improvement in my writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment