Tuesday 31 May 2011

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. 
Albert Einstein



I figure there are are few readers out there that have always wanted to write but have never done so. The following blog post is dedicated to you, to inspire (and I hope not patronize) If you want to write but have not written... you are like me but 5 years ago- and believe me writing has changed me. There are three things so far that have had the most profound effect on my life- working in social housing, travelling and writing. Writing has matured me and made me see things in a different light, more intricately and in more detail, with more colour- I never thought I had it in me (some people may still think I dont) - to be creative to write words and words that make me happy if no-one else. 


I have learnt several things in the last couple of years but most importantly I learnt that if you can change one persons life (in a good way) then your life was worth it- and what does this have to do with writing? I hear you say. It has lots to do with writing- If you write it is because you have something to say- it may be stuff you know like the back of your hand but I guarantee you that someone, somewhere does not know it and they may read your material now and it may change the way they think- for the better (hopefully) anything is an education- even if its just a theory- even if its just your imagination! 


For those who want to write but have never had the guts to do it- what is holding you back? Is it fear of failure? fear of rejection? fear that you will write ten thousand words and then dry up? I experience two of those things most mornings- but I still write- why? because I started and I'll tell you for free if its in your blood it will make you happy. You dont have to put your work out there- but you might just have the courage to do so- and so what if a million poeple hate it- like I said , you affect one person and bingo! 


This week, for just one week only, give into that inherent urge, that little voice inside your head, that tiny being deep within you that always wanted to write and just do it. Look out of the nearest window to you and imagine the life of the person you see that walks past- or if it is really quiet, what happens in the house opposite to you, or even if you are in the middle of a field- think about who was in that field yesterday and why and what were they thinking- feel their feelings- were they happy, were they numb with fear were they anxious, did they want the ground to open up and swallow them whole, were they scared? was it cold or a glorious summers day? And in the house opposite you are the family happy? or when the doors are closed does the wife drink until she cannot feel anymore because of what happened? and what did happen to make her feel like this? 


So for one week only write just write - and if you do let me know- because I would like to know if this has inspired just one person even!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment