Thursday 20 January 2011

What I like in a good author...

What I like in a good author is not what he says, but what he whispers.  ~Logan Pearsall Smith, "All Trivia," Afterthoughts, 1931

I have not blogged in what seems an age as I have been busy with other things – This has annoyed me somewhat as I am now behind schedule in submitting my final copy to the publishers – blemish free.
I have done the hardest task and have been through the manuscript with a fine tooth comb- which for me in itself is a mammoth task – I hate proof reading which I suppose attributes to my lack of understanding when it comes to grammar. Any how I have done it and made some changes – the most glaringly obvious was the “tyres” “tires” word. Whether it is an American spelling or what I don’t know I have chosen the more correct tyres! i am talking wheels here.

That aside- I have only made the changes on a paper copy – I hate reading on screen (such large chunks) and I now need to make these changes to the electronic version before I email it off. I am impressed the publishing company emailed me to find out why I hadn’t contacted them after having my edited manuscript for two weeks. It was a standard email but when I did ask a few question as to what font sizes and line spacing etc they answered super speedily.

Another thing I haven’t mentioned is the dreaded front cover! I was racking my brains as to what to use - as you may have previously read– I have heard that the standard publishing (for self publishing at least) images are not very good at all so I took my camera out to India ready to get some good shots. Did I? No I didn’t – my photography skills are much like my grammar and I have not managed to find anything. I have however whilst perusing a friends photos found the perfect front cover.

It is a door, a big old door in a painted yellow house with a couple of stairs each side leading up to it. Damp has set into the corners of these stairs and a mossy substance has formed on each side of the door.

The picture instantaneously jumped out at me the same was I suppose my book amongst a million others will jump out at people browsing.

My friend whose photo it is very artsy and is working on it, in fact designing me a front cover as well. So I am nearly there- nearly about to publish my first novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment